About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Clare, I live in the South West of England in the seaside town of Torquay. I adore playing with inks, paints and generally getting messy. It is the calm place which fits in between my hectic life whilst working as an outreach support worker, looking after my son, daughter, foster son and hubby. Not forgetting our gorgeous springer spaniel, Suzi.

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Crackled heart of gold

First of all let me start by saying a huge thank you for all of your kind comments and likes on Facebook. It really means so much to me. Crafting is a chunk of my life that I adore. I frequently loose myself whilst in my crafty mode and it makes me happy, and sometimes keeps me sane. Although my OH often thinks I am loopy when a new paint, ink or adhesive arrives!

Lots of you have commented on the heart and so I decided to do a quick step by step on how they were made. I am a great believer in sharing, I have learnt so much from everyone else that I thought I would give something back.

 

To make the heart you will need:

Grunge board or similar chipboard that will go through a die cutting machine

White spray ink or acrylic paint

I used Dylusions spray ink melted chocolate, vibrant turquoise and calypso teal

Tissue paper with news print or you could use a script stamp

Modge podge

Distress inks

Crackle background stamp

Guilding flakes

Crackle glaze

 

To begin I cut out 2 hearts and glued them together to make them thicker.

Then sprayed them with white linen dylusions

Once dry I gave the hearts one quick spritz of the colours so it had quite a speckled effect

Then I applied my tissue paper with modge podge.

I think adding the tissue paper adds to the the texture but you could use a script stamp.

When it was dry I inked around the edge with black inks and then sponged over the middle with antique linen.

Now for the messy part (even though my fingers are black at this stage) I stamped my crackle background stamp and applied the guilding flakes.

 

I then applied the crackle glaze. I tip it into an old tub and use a paintbrush as my hands can't seem to squeeze it out of the bottle but again I think it adds to the texture.

Once the crackle glaze has dried and crackled I sponged on some antique photo distress inks.

This is my first ever how to post so I do hope you have enjoyed looking at it. Please let me know your thoughts and comments, I love to here your feedback.

 

Crafty hugs,

 

Clare x x x x

 

 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Clare.
    Thanks for showing us how you made your hearts.
    (sorry for my bad english).
    Hugs Miranda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is super! Don't be sorry. Thanks for the visit x x x

      Delete
  2. Love it and thank you for sharing how you achieved this fab look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your process. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that was very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, great step by step.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claire, I love this! I love to get messy and inky when I'm crafting so this perfect! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. You captured the perfect looking rusty heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing step by step instructions. Thanks for shring. Just fab x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks a very beautiful piece and great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous! Can l ask how does the crackle stamp show up under the gilding flakes? Great idea to use gilding flakes and crackle glaze......defo going to try this! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise I stamped the adhesive on using the crackle stamp to get the crackled gold effect. I hope this helps x x x

      Delete
  12. Did you use Flitterglu gold flakes. If you did your right they are very messy but so worth it. Very rich. Thank you for sharing!! Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are gorgeous ! Thanks for sharing your instructions !

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.